It will be a long weekend for the Australian grass-roots tennis community.
The big-money Australian Open, which kicks off on Tuesday at Adelaide’s Adelaide Oval, kicks off with a two-week break and a couple of days of practice ahead of the main event.
But in terms of tennis, it will be an entirely different story.
The event, which is the biggest in Australian tennis history, is also the one that is taking place in the first fortnight of July, a time when tennis players are still in high demand and the game is still in the early stages of its development.
Tennis’s governing body, the Australian Tennis Commission, has made sure that players have ample rest, plenty of food, and are not allowed to play with their children during this period.
Tennis is still far from being ready for the Olympics and the sport has not been able to find the perfect balance between the demands of a professional tennis tournament and a sporting season.
Tennis players have to prepare for the big-time Australian Open during their break-in period This is why the Australian ATP has put together a special break-off period that lasts six weeks.
The break-out period starts on Monday August 13, with players being allowed to take some time off from tennis, eat their meals, and have a shower before the event starts.
They then return to court for their match on Monday, June 12, at 10:00am.
However, as the break-offs end, players are not permitted to play.
The Australian Tennis Association, the governing body for the game in Australia, has done an admirable job of accommodating the players, particularly with the Australian Olympic Committee taking a more hands-off approach to the process.
But there is one major issue with the current rules that has caused some frustration for some Australian players.
Players are still being allowed only to play in the break period, even though they are not in the full break.
This means players cannot even be in the middle of a game.
Players have to be in their break, which means they can’t take time off to rest, eat meals, or get some rest in between games.
And the only time a player is allowed to sit down to play is during a match.
If the break ends, then the break is over.
The players are supposed to take two weeks off after their break period ends, and then they have to go back to play, but that has not happened in practice so far.
This is not ideal.
The rules were not written to cater to the needs of players.
In some instances, it is just not feasible for players to stay out for two weeks while they play, says Australian Tennis Federation CEO Andrew Murray.
“The rules have not been developed with the players in mind,” he says.
“They’ve got a very specific need for a break, and the rules are designed to support the players who are in a break-period.”
Players say they are in no hurry to return to practice on Wednesday afternoon, which has been the most-often-played day of the week.
“It is always the busiest day of practice, and we’re all very happy about it,” says Australia’s No. 1 player, Tom Stambaugh.
“We are all just hoping to be out there on Wednesday, and that will hopefully help us to have a bit of a positive energy to get back on the court,” says Australian No. 2 David Ferrer.
It is difficult to tell if players are getting enough rest or not.
“I’ve got four weeks off to play,” says Stambough.
“There is no way I am going to play if I am not getting any rest.”
If the Australian player is missing practice on Tuesday, what is the best way to deal with the issue?
The short answer is that players are going to have to find a way to work around it.
Players say that their break breaks have been a source of frustration for the governing bodies.
It has been difficult to know what to do if the break breaks are not being made available for players, but there are options.
One solution is to put the players out of the break completely.
This involves playing only the three matches per week that players can play, with a maximum of six matches in a week.
However this approach can be difficult to implement.
“You could put all the players on the courts for one day, and not have any breaks,” says US No. 4 Tom Statham.
“A lot of guys get really frustrated, and they want to just get back in the game.”
Australian No 1 David Ferrers is also unhappy with the situation.
“If they’re going to put all their players out, that would be a problem for them,” he said.
“Because that’s not going to be a good environment for them to play.”
Some players, like No. 6 Tom Danielson, have not given up hope of being able to return for the main draw on Wednesday.